By PERPETUAL SICHIKWENKWE -
CONTINUED trial in a matter in which former Republican president Rupiah Banda is charged with abuse of authority relating to an oil deal with the Nigerian government has been set for February 10, 2014.
Chief Resident Magistrate Joshua Banda, who is presiding over the matter, told Banda’s defence lawyers during the mentioning of their client’s case yesterday that it would come up for continued trial on February 10.
Banda who had been excused by the court was not present during the mentioning of his case.
Magistrate Banda informed both the State and defence lawyers that the matter was only coming up for mention as trial was set for next month.
Banda, 75, is facing one count of abuse of authority of office regarding a US$2.5 million oil deal which the State says did not benefit Zambians.
Particulars of the offence are that on dates unknown but between May 1, 2008 and September 24, 2011 in Lusaka, Banda, being a person employed in the public service as President of the Republic of Zambia, did abuse the authority of his office.
He allegedly procured a Nigerian government-to-government oil contract in the name of the Republic of Zambia “which he in fact meant to benefit himself and his family”.
Banda is accused of instructing his son, Henry Banda, to determine the destination of the proceeds of this contract, an instruction from which the Republic of Zambia did not receive any benefit.
In another development, the Lusaka magistrate’s court has deferred to January 24, 2014 judgment in a matter in which Clifford Dimba, popularly known as General Kanene, is charged with defilement.
Resident Magistrate Rodgers Kaoma was indisposed to deliver the judgment yesterday.
Particulars of the offence allege that Dimba on unknown dates but between January 31, 2012 and February 1, 2012 in Lusaka had unlawful carnal knowledge of a girl under the age of 16.
He was arrested for the offence on February 7, 2012.