‘CBU exam ban not true’
Published On January 13, 2014 » 1629 Views» By Hildah Lumba » Latest News, Stories
 0 stars
Register to vote!

CBU logoBy MAYA NTANDA -
COPPERBELT University (CBU) management has dismissed reports that it has allegedly stopped some students from registering for examinations scheduled for next week.
CBU registrar Allan Ilunga said the university had not unilaterally barred some students from registering for the examinations which commenced last week and those scheduled for January 20 this year for distance, part-time and full-time studies.
Mr Ilunga said in a statement that at the start of each academic year, students were required to pay at least 75 per cent of fees.
He said this academic year, the university went out of its way to allow students in full-time and distance mode of studies to pay between 25 and 50 per cent of the fees.
Mr Ilunga said the students were expected to settle the remainder of the fees by the time of examination registration, which was a period of about eight months.
“It is important to note that the university, like any other, depends on fees paid by students to run its operations including procurement of examination materials.
“Despite this, management has allowed those who have paid at least 75 per cent and have done course registration to register for examinations,” reads part of the statement.
Mr Ilunga said management had gone beyond the provisions of its policies regarding payment of fees by extending deadlines twice and by allowing students who had not completed payments to register for the examinations.
He said the university had since extended the deadline for examination registration to January 19 this year for students who had made full payments, a minimum of 75 per cent or owe less than K1,500 of the total fees.
And Copperbelt University Students Union president Kinsley Chinyama welcomed management’s decision and encouraged students to embrace the rules and regulations of the university.

Share this post
Tags

About The Author

Comments are closed.