By CHARITY MOONGA -
THE Electoral Commission of Zambia (ECZ) and three major political parties have signed an agreement following complaints that the ruling Patriotic Front (PF) had started campaigns in Vubwi Constituency in Eastern Province.
This followed complaints by the MMD and United Party for National Development (UPND) to ECZ last week over President Michael Sata’s visit to Vubwi recently.
ECZ public relations manager Chris Akufuna, MMD deputy national secretary Chembe Nyangu and UPND secretary general Winstone Chibwe, in separate interviews, confirmed having held a meeting in Lusaka on Monday at which an agreement was signed.
Mr Nyangu and Mr Chibwe confirmed having attended the conflict resolution meeting and signing of the agreement but said details of the agreement would be released by the ECZ through Mr Akufuna.
But when contacted, Mr Akufuna said he would issue a comprehensive statement on the agreement later.
Last week, Mr Akufuna confirmed receiving two letters of complaints from the MMD and UPND on what they termed premature PF campaigns in Vubwi Constituency but said he would present the complaints from the two opposition parties to the conflict management committee.
The MMD and UPND in their letters alleged that President Sata went to campaign in Vubwi recently before the ECZ opened the campaign period.
The Vubwi parliamentary seat fell vacant following the nullification of MMD area Member of Parliament Eustarckio Kazonga’s election by the Supreme Court for electoral malpractices.
The ECZ postponed the Vubwi by-election as well as for the Zambezi West seat which was held by UPND’s Charles Kakoma.
Both by-elections are pending the Supreme Court’s determination of the case in which two losing PF candidates for Zambezi West and Vubwi constituencies have filed a motion asking the court to determine whether or not Mr Kakoma and Dr Kazonga are eligible to re-contest their seats.