By BRIAN HATYOKA –
TWO Livingstone residents who sustained chest and head injuries after they were hacked by a suspected mentally ill patient are out of danger, Livingstone General Hospital acting medical superintendent Muzaza Ntele has said.
On Saturday last week, a suspected mentally ill man of Livingstone hacked to death two people and injured two others using a hoe under unknown circumstances.
Shale Hanyinde Stongani, 24, of Siankalumba Vilage in Chief Mukuni’s area in Livingstone hacked to death Maxwell Chimamu, 50, of the same area on Saturday night around 20:00 hours.
Mr Stongani also hacked another resident, Ernest Phiri, 34, who later died at Livingstone General Hospital.
The other two victims Gray Munsanje Muzwanga, 42, and Thomas Mutambo, 27, of the same village sustained chest and head injuries.
Speaking in an interview in Livingstone yesterday, Dr Ntele said Mr Muzwanga and Mr Mutambo were out of danger and were expected to be discharged from the hospital soon.
“The two patients complained of head and chest injuries but they are recovering well at the hospital.
“Our doctors are doing everything possible to ensure that the patients go back to their homes soon,” Dr Ntele said.