LCM workers call off protest
Published On January 11, 2017 » 642 Views» By Diran Chama » Latest News, Stories
 0 stars
Register to vote!

By RABECCA CHIPANTA
WORKERS at Luanshya Copper Mines (LCM) who went on a two-day sit-in protest demanding a salary increment have resumed work following the reinstatement of seven suspended colleagues.
The seven were suspended on Monday as more than five hundred miners staged a protest demanding a 35 per cent salary rise.
On Tuesday, Copperbelt Minister Bowman Lusambo and Luanshya Mayor Nathan Chanda intervened in the matter and assured the workers of Government’s participation in the negotiations for their salary increments.

LUSAMBO

LUSAMBO

Meanwhile both Mr Chanda and LCM public relations manager Sydney Chileya confirmed the end of the strike in separate interviews.
Mr Chanda said following the meeting with the miners at shaft 28 on Tuesday where it was resolved that the miners resume work, the workers had all reported for work yesterday.
Mr Chileya said the seven workers that had been suspended following the sit-in protest had been reinstated and had reported back for work.
“All the workers including the seven that had been served with letters have reported for work. Operations at the mines are back to normal and running smoothly,” he said.
Both the Mine Workers Union of Zambia (MUZ) and the National Union of Miners and Allied Workers (NUMAW) had engaged Luanshya Copper Mine (LCM) management to discuss the issues which led to workers staging a two-day sit-in protest.
MUZ president Nkole Chishimba said the two unions were in talks with the LCM management and would release a report on the outcome of the meeting.
Labour Minister Joyce Nonde-Simukoko was yesterday expected to visit the mine.

Share this post
Tags

About The Author

Comments are closed.