Kitwe WCFCB tenants seek Lungu’s help over eviction
Published On January 13, 2017 » 1232 Views» By Diran Chama » Latest News, Stories
 0 stars
Register to vote!

By JOWIT SALUSEKI -
TENANTS of the Kitwe flats owned by the Workers Compensation Fund Control Board (WCFCB) have appealed to President Edgar Lungu to help stop their eviction by the landlord.
A representative of the tenants, some of whom have been occupying the flats for over 30 years, claimed that the WCFCB management wanted to evict the residents to pave way for construction of new housing complexes.
In a walk-in interview in Ndola yesterday Kachila Kabandama who is chairperson of Fyalipwa and Kola Courts tenants, said they were on the verge of being thrown out in the cold following instructions from the WCFCB management over the proposed renovations and demolition of Kola Courts for construction of new buildings.workers compensation
“We are convinced that the President will come to our aid  because during his  inaugural speech he said that he  intended to alleviate the housing deficit that the country is facing by building new housing units,’’ Mr Kabandama who was flanked by another tenant Rodrick Lungu said.
Mr Kabandama said the tenants would be very grateful if they could allowed to buy the flats they occupied as sitting tenant.
He said as sitting tenants had already petitioned Labour minister Joyce Simukoko under whose ministry superintended the WCFCB.
He explained that the flats in question previously belonged to Blackwood Hodge but were later taken up by WCFCB who had for years not bothered maintained them, leaving the tenants to foot the cost of repairs.
He said despite having a suspended tenancy agreements, the WCFCB last week introduced a new agreement with  increased rentals.

Share this post
Tags

About The Author

Comments are closed.