Chilufya notes continued drop in cholera cases
Published On February 28, 2018 » 1565 Views» By Evans Musenya Manda » Latest News, Stories
 0 stars
Register to vote!

By HELLEN TEMBO –
HEALTH Minister Chitalu Chilufya has said the ministry has continued to record a marked reduction in the number of new cholera cases following the robust interventions put place.
Dr Chilufya said yesterday that 13 new cases were recorded in the previous 24 hours in Lusaka while five were recorded outside in Kafue’s Zambia Township.
The minister said this at a Press briefing in Lusaka yesterday.
“We have continued monitoring the situation on the ground and the number of cholera cases has continued to take a decline,” Dr Chilufya said.
He said the new cholera cases were coming from George, Kuku and Ngombe ownships and, outside Lusaka which was Kafue, was due to the ecological linkage of the illegal fishing camp in Shibuyunji.
Dr Chilufya said the Government would close the illegal fishing camps to put an end to new cases of the epidemic.
He said the ministry intensifying its interventions in affected areas such as George Township by increasing the chlorination of water in the area as well as increasing access to clean and safe water in all surrounding communities.
Dr Chilufya said cumulatively, Lusaka had now recorded 4,041 cases out the nationwide total of 4,371.
He said out of the 2,000 wells to be buried, 1,000 had already covered over.
Dr Chilufya said the ministry would focus on chlorinating George township and had put up water tanks in all the affected areas.
The minister said the Government had increased the provision of clean and safe water in Kafue over the previous six days.

Share this post
Tags

About The Author