Nkana in uphill battle
Published On March 1, 2014 » 2639 Views» By Administrator Times » Football, Sports
 0 stars
Register to vote!


Nkana  2   KCCA  2
NKANA have been left with an uphill battle after 10-man Kampala City Council Authority (KCCA) of Uganda held their CAF Champions League hosts to a 2-2 draw at Arthur Davies Stadium in Kitwe.
Like in the preliminary round, Nkana must win by 1-0 in Kampala to keep their Champions League alive against a very stubborn KCCA who remain unbeaten away from home in this year’s competition.
Nkana started strongly in the opening 15 minutes with some crisp flowing movement on the ball.
Claude Bwalya brought the best out of KCCA goalkeeper Omar Magoola in the ninth minute after some good work from Kampamba.
Tony Odur gave Nkana a scare in the 12 minute but fired wide from close range after failing to capitalise on a poor clearance by Christopher Munthali.
KCCA had another great chance a minute later but got wasted after Herman Wasswa and Odur failed to connect with a fine cross from Brian Majamega.
The visitor’s hard work was rewarded in the 25 minute when Odurs unleashed an unstoppable shot past Nkana goalkeeper Rabson Muchelenganga.
Ten minutes later Nkana won a penalty off an Ivan Ntege hand ball that Kampamba stepped up to take but causally shot straight at KCCA goalkeeper, Omar Magoola.
Kampamba redeemed himself exactly a minute later after finishing off a cross from Maybin Chishimba before the two sides went 1-1 into the break.
Nkana got their lead in the 50th minute through Shadreck Musonda, who unleashed a thunderbolt strike into the roof of the net.
KCCA then suffered a setback in the 59th minute when Tom Masiko was sent off for a second bookable offence.
However, that did not deter KCCA, who took the game to the hosts, with Brian Majwega and Odur from giving Nkana’s backline problems on the break.
And in the 70th minute, Majmega equalised from the penalty spot after Maybin Chishimba handled the ball in the box.
Majwega had another chance to add to his tally, wasted five minutes later when his attempt hit the side netting.
KCCA finished strongly and in the 88th minute William Kiadri beat Munthali and Derrick Mulenga but sent his shot across the face of goal.
The two sides are set for the return leg this Saturday in Kampala with the pressure on Nkana to produce another dramatic result this time away.
Nkana coach Masauso Mwale said his side created a lot of chance but bemoaned the failure to convert the chances into goal.
“We missed a lot of chances which would have worked for us had we scored. We now know their weakness and their strengths and I want to believe we shall collect our mistakes when we go to Kampala,” Mwale said.

Share this post

About The Author